Taking care of your antique and vintage jewelry is an important part of preserving its timeless beauty and extending its lifespan. Here are some friendly jewelry care instructions to keep your jewelry pieces looking its best for years to come!
- Regular Check-ups: Just like visiting the doctor, your jewelry deserves a routine check-up by a professional jeweler. Schedule a visit every 6 months or so to ensure that the prongs holding your precious gemstones are tight and clasps are functioning properly. Remember, it's always better to replace a clasp than to risk losing your beloved jewelry! Similarly, it's much easier to tighten a loose stone than to replace it.
- Gentle Cleaning: For most jewelry, a little TLC goes a long way. To clean your pieces, simply soak them in warm, soapy water and use a soft toothbrush to gently remove any dirt or debris. For a quick touch-up, consider buffing them with a jewelry cleaning cloth. However, do keep in mind that pieces with closed-back or foiled settings should not be submerged in liquid to prevent any potential damage.
- Beware of Ultrasonic Cleaners: While many jewelry stores use ultrasonic cleaners for convenience, it's important to note that this method is not recommended for antique jewelry or items with certain gemstones. Gemstones such as emeralds, turquoise, opals, and pearls require special care and should be kept away from ultrasonic cleaning. When in doubt, seek professional advice to ensure the safety of your precious jewels.
- Preserving Patina: If you want to preserve the vintage or antique patina in your jewels, make sure your jeweler does NOT polish them to look brand new. Pro Tip: A thin pencil eraser is our preferred method of gently removing tarnish from your gold and silver jewelry. We like using the Tomboy Precision Tip Pen Style Eraser.
- Prevent Damage: Avoid exposure to saltwater, chlorine, perfumes, hand sanitizer, or other chemicals. Consider taking your jewelry off during strenuous activities such as exercising or playing sports.
By following these friendly care instructions, you can maintain the beauty and longevity of your antique and vintage jewelry. Always feel free to contact us with any questions about maintaining, cleaning, or repairing your jewelry!